ProfitTradingApp for BitMEXLatest release: 6.0.6 ( 11th August 2022 ) 🔍 Last analysed 20th September 2021 . Custodial: The provider holds the keys
As the provider of this product holds the keys, verifiability of the product is not relevant to the security of the funds!
As part of our Methodology, we ask:
Is the product self-custodial?If the answer is "no", we mark it as "Custodial: The provider holds the keys".
A custodial service is a service where the funds are held by a third party like the provider. The custodial service can at any point steal all the funds of all the users at their discretion. Our investigations stop there.
Some services might claim their setup is super secure, that they don’t actually have access to the funds, or that the access is shared between multiple parties. For our evaluation of it being a wallet, these details are irrelevant. They might be a trustworthy Bitcoin bank and they might be a better fit for certain users than being your own bank but our investigation still stops there as we are only interested in wallets.
Products that claim to be non-custodial but feature custodial accounts without very clearly marking those as custodial are also considered “custodial” as a whole to avoid misguiding users that follow our assessment.
This verdict means that the provider might or might not publish source code and maybe it is even possible to reproduce the build from the source code but as it is custodial, the provider already has control over the funds, so it is not a wallet where you would be in exclusive control of your funds.
We have to acknowledge that a huge majority of Bitcoiners are currently using custodial Bitcoin banks. If you do, please:
- Do your own research if the provider is trust-worthy!
- Check if you know at least enough about them so you can sue them when you have to!
- Check if the provider is under a jurisdiction that will allow them to release your funds when you need them?
- Check if the provider is taking security measures proportional to the amount of funds secured? If they have a million users and don’t use cold storage, that hot wallet is a million times more valuable for hackers to attack. A million times more effort will be taken by hackers to infiltrate their security systems.
Help spread awareness for build reproducibility
Please help us spread the word discussing the risks of centralized custodians with ProfitTradingApp for BitMEX via their Twitter!
Do your own research!
Try out searching for "lost bitcoins", "stole my money" or "scammers" together with the wallet's name, even if you think the wallet is generally trustworthy. For all the bigger wallets you will find accusations. Make sure you understand why they were made and if you are comfortable with the provider's reaction.
If you find something we should include, you can create an issue or edit this analysis yourself and create a merge request for your changes.
The Analysis ¶
The provider ProfitTradingApp features a list of apps:
- ProfitTradingApp For Binance Custodial!
- ProfitTradingApp For KuCoin Custodial!
- ProfitTradingApp for FTX Custodial!
- ProfitTradingApp for OKEx Work In Progress Obsolete!
- ProfitTradingApp for Bybit Work In Progress
- ProfitTradingApp for BinanceUS Custodial! Stale!
- ProfitTradingApp for Huobi Custodial! Stale!
- ProfitTradingApp for HitBTC Custodial! Stale!
- ProfitTradingApp for Coinbase Custodial! Stale!
- ProfitTradingApp for Kraken Custodial! Stale!
- ProfitTradingApp for Bittrex Custodial! Stale!
each of which act as an interface to the respectively mentioned exchange.
While the provider doesn’t custody your coins, neither do you. This app can trade on your behalf via its bots and you can also withdraw and deposit. This means you can use it as a wallet but not only are your coins in custody of the respective exchange, this app probably can also empty all the accounts of all its users at once which is why we consider it itself custodial and thus not verifiable.
Share onTwitter Facebook LinkedIn
Or embed a widget in your website
<iframe src="https://walletscrutiny.com/widget/#appId=android/com.profittrading.forbitmex&theme=auto&style=short" name="_ts" style="min-width:180px;border:0;border-radius:10px;max-width:280px;min-height:30px;"> </iframe>
<iframe src="https://walletscrutiny.com/widget/#appId=android/com.profittrading.forbitmex&theme=auto&style=long" style="max-width:100%;width:342px;border:0;border-radius:10px;min-height:290px;"> </iframe>